Are Abstract Shapes the Key to unlocking Infinite design possibilities?
Well, It won’t be wrong to say they have long been a cornerstone of artistic expression and design creativity.
But what makes abstract shapes so alluring, and how do they enable designers to explore boundless possibilities? Let us jump into the world of abstract shapes, their influence on design trends (along with real-life examples), and the ways they open doors to unlimited imagination and interpretation one by one!
To make you familiar with their significance, Abstract shapes are a powerful tool for designers. They can be used to create a variety of different effects, from a sense of movement and energy to a sense of history and tradition. In 2023, abstract shapes are becoming increasingly popular, as designers look for new ways to create visually striking and memorable designs.
Key Features of Abstract Shapes
- They are often irregular or asymmetrical. This means that they do not have the same smooth, regular edges as geometric shapes, giving us a playful vibe.
- They can be made up of different colors, textures, and patterns. This allows designers to create a wide variety of different effects with abstract shapes.
- They represent a sense of movement, energy, or calm. The specific effect that an abstract shape creates will depend on its size, shape, color, and texture.
- And of course, can be used to create a sense of balance, harmony, or contrast. The specific effect that an abstract shape creates will depend on how it is used in the design.
But where do designers use these actually? Nice question!
Abstract shapes can be used in a variety of different design projects, including:
- Interior Design
Is your upcoming project about one of them? We would definitely recommend using one or the other abstract shape to make it look more trendy and modern design.
So without any further ado, let’s discuss some of the main shapes that might intrigue your audience, Here are the best 10 abstract shapes for 2023 design trends, with design examples:
10 Abstract Shapes for 2023 Design Trends
Also known as Boho shapes, are inspired by the bohemian lifestyle and often feature organic shapes, patterns, and textures. We connect them with nature, and environment-related elements like the sun, leaves, stones, etc.
Doodle shapes are created by freehand drawing and are often irregular and asymmetrical offering a sense of movement, energy, and playfulness. The irregular shapes and lines drawn freehand give the illustration a playful and whimsical feel.
Pro Tip: Most designers make use of digital pencils or brushes to actually draw them digitally or if you don’t have that, you can draw with pen & paper and trace them later!
Splinter shapes are created by breaking down geometric shapes into smaller, more irregular pieces. They represent chaos and excitement (at the same time!).
Abstracted Linear Tales
Abstract lines offer us a variety of different effects, depending on the thickness, length, and direction of the lines. The thick, thin lines when arranged in a dynamic way, create a visually striking effect. Try it out and you would be amazed by the results!
Fluidic Waves in design involve translating the graceful and continuous movements of fluids into visual elements that evoke a sense of dynamism and energy. This trend adds a touch of fluidity to typically static design compositions. We have seen a lot of new brands using these fluidic waves in their posters to depict modernness.
Interlocking mesh-like shapes that give an impression of fragility and interconnectedness, mirroring the delicate balance in our digital age. It is characterized by its use of thin, delicate lines that create a sense of transparency and openness.
It’s interesting that abstract shapes don’t only represent hand-drawn or flowy elements. This trend is a contemporary take on cubist shapes, involving fragmented and reassembled geometric forms that challenge traditional perspectives. Neo-Cubist principles, such as the use of simplified forms, bright colors, and collages, can be seen in a variety of design projects.
Modern reinterpretations of classic spiral shapes, incorporating sharp angles and unexpected twists to create a futuristic and dynamic aesthetic.
Pro Tip: These in particular work well with the dark theme.
This trend offers an exciting opportunity to create designs that resonate with both precision and authenticity. Geometric diamonds with irregular edges and facets, combine the precision of geometric shapes with the organic feel of natural formations.
‘Holographic Fractals’ is a design concept that merges two visually captivating elements: holography and fractal geometry, usually creating intricate patterns that seem to extend infinitely.
How Abstract Shapes can help you in Design (with Real-Life Examples):
Abstract shapes can help you in design in a number of ways. They can:
- Visual Impact and Uniqueness: Imagine a poster advertising a music festival. Instead of using literal representations of musical instruments, you incorporate abstract shapes that mimic the rhythm and movement of music waves. These shapes catch the viewer’s attention by presenting something unexpected and unique.
- Conveying Emotions and Moods: Designing a brochure for a spa retreat, you might use abstract shapes resembling soft, flowing lines to convey a sense of relaxation and tranquility, even without depicting actual spa facilities.
- Simplification and Conceptualization: Wondering how to create an infographic about climate change? You could use abstract shapes to represent rising temperatures, melting ice caps, and changing weather patterns, simplifying complex data into visually graspable forms.
- Dynamic Composition and Movement: Designing a website for a sports brand, you might incorporate abstract shapes resembling swooshes and curves to suggest speed and motion, enhancing the overall dynamic feel of the site.
- Storytelling and Symbolism: For designing a book cover for a mystery novel, you could use abstract shapes resembling puzzle pieces coming together, hinting at the mystery’s eventual resolution.
- Branding and Identity: Think of Nike’s iconic “Swoosh” logo-a simple abstract shape that represents movement, speed, and achievement, aligning perfectly with the brand’s values.
- Versatility and Adaptability: Abstract shapes can be adapted to various design contexts, making them versatile tools for different media and platforms. For Eg: To design a series of social media posts for a technology company, you could use abstract shapes to create a cohesive visual language that communicates innovation and connectivity.
The ideas are endless, aren’t they? Now, It’s your turn to think of how you can utilize them in your existing project.
Final Notes Worth Noting
When using abstract shapes in design, it is important to consider the following factors:
- The Purpose of the Design
- The Target Audience
- The Desired Effect
- The Overall Style of the Design
By carefully considering these factors, designers can use abstract shapes to create effective and visually appealing designs.
If you’re looking to add a touch of creativity and originality to your designs, abstract shapes are a great place to start. Just Remember to have fun and experiment with different techniques until you find a style that works for you.
We hope this article will be helpful to you. Stay tuned for upcoming articles.
READ MORE: Design Functionality of Shapes and Lines!
If you like our article, please subscribe to BsyBeeDesign for the latest updates on design. If we forget anything, share your creative ideas in the comments section.